NHS (National Health Service)
Seeing a Doctor
Need to register with a General Practice (GP) Surgery.
GP Surgery will only take in patients within a certain post code area.
Search your local GP Surgery
Some GPs cannot take in new patients.
Speak to your neighbours or friends who live in the same area to see which GP they use as recommendation.
Go online and see comments about the surgery.
Some surgery might have more services than the others – do your research.
You can always switch to a different GP if you don’t like your current one.
It is free of charge to see the doctor (NHS service).
需要去家庭醫生 (General Practice, GP) 診所 (Surgery) 進行登記
GP Surgery只接受居住在區內的市民 (睇post code)
可以上網查看你附近的 GP Surgery
有些 GP Surgery 可能無法接受新的申請 (Full 咗!)
如果您不喜歡現在的 GP Surgery，您是可以換去另一間
在英國睇醫生是免費 (NHS 服務)
Register at a GP
Physically register at the GP surgery
With COVID-19 – fill in an online registration form GMS1
ID – BNO passport / driving licence
Proof of address – driving licence / utility bills / bank statement
NHS number – you should have this after paying the immigration health surcharge (IHS)
可以上網去診所網站進行登記 - 填寫GMS1表格 (因爲COVID-19)
需要ID – BNO護照/駕駛執照
NHS號碼 - 當你支付 immigration health surcharge 費用之後 ， 你將會得到這個號碼
What to Expect From the Healthcare (NHS) in the UK?
● It is different to Hong Kong.
● Some areas might be hard to get a GP appointment, especially in high population areas.
● Different surgeries have different rules ~ often call in the morning or queue in and register at the surgery.
● If your illness is minor, then you will get to see a nurse or paramedic (they have authority to issue prescriptions if you need medicines).
● If you have a normal cold, unless you have a cold for a week or more, and you have some symptoms and the condition is worsen, the doctor will then prescribe you the medicine (unlike Hong Kong).
If you visit a GP for a normal cold,
Advise from GP is – go and drink some more water with honey and lemon
No medicine will be given to you, unless you really need it (Such as antibiotics)
Best to have some medicine at home (bring it from Hong Kong, buy some cough medicine, paracetamol, ibuprofen)
● Make your own decision – it is always worth calling you GP surgery and get advice when you feel ill.
● Your GP will write a referral if you require a specialist and you will be referred to your nearest hospital for appointments.
Depending on the size of waiting list and location, for non-urgent cases the waiting time could vary between few weeks to 18 weeks ( before Covid19 ). Unlike HK, the waiting time is 2/3 years.
For urgent cancer patients, the maximum time is 2 week.
● Some GPs can provide a different language (will need to check!)
● If you need interpretation and translation services in Cantonese – you can always let the surgery know you need this service during your appointment. The surgery has a system
which they can call for interpretation over the phone.
● 有些地區可能唔容易預約 GP 醫生，特別是在人口稠密地區。
● 不同的 GP surgeries 有不同的規則 ~ 經常在早上打電話或排隊等候。
● 如果病情不是太嚴重，好大機會是睇護士或救護員 (如果您需要藥物，他們有權開處方)
情況變差了 ，醫生先會開藥 (與香港不同)。
不會特別開藥 – 徐非真是有需要 (例如抗生素)
最好家中買定一些藥 (從香港帶回來 或 買定一些咳藥水，撲熱息痛 [Paracetamol, Panadol]，布洛芬 [Ibuprofen])
● 睇專科 – GP 會寫轉介信，轉介到最近的醫院排隊睇專科
● 有一些GP Surgery可以提供翻譯 (需要向GP Surgery 查詢)
● 如果您需要廣東話的翻譯服務，您可以在預先通知 GP Surgery。他們有一個
NHS~ Walk-In Centre
If your GP is unavailable, there is the Walk-In centre:
The Walk-In centre will be called Urgent treatment centre from autumn 2020, can be used to treat minor illnesses and injuries.
It is often managed by nurses but some centre do have access to doctors.
They're open early till late, and most are open 365 days a year and offer advice and treatment without the need for an appointment.
如果您不能預約你的GP，有一個 Walk-In centre:
Walk-In centre 將從2020年秋季開始稱為緊急治療中心 (Urgent Treatment Centre), 可用於治療輕微疾病和傷患。
Find your nearest Walk In centre:
尋找您最近的 Walk In centre:
More information on when to visit a Walk-In centre:
有關何時訪問 Walk-In centre 的更多信息：
● This is free for non-emergency conditions – Call 111
● You can use this service when:
During out of hours when your surgery is closed (evening / weekends)
If you haven’t registered with a GP yet and need medical help
During the day when you are not close to your GP
● NHS 111 will connect to the call centre in your area.
● They can arrange appointments in hospitals for you to see doctors or send paramedics.
● 非緊急情況 – 致電111 (免費)
● 您可以在以下情況下使用NHS 111：
GP Surgery 休息 (晚上/週末)
如果您還未去 GP Surgery登記並需要睇醫生
您不在您的GP Surgery附近 (e.g. 去了另一個地區)
● NHS 111將連接到您所在地區的呼叫中心
A&E – free of charge (NHS service)
急症室 (A&E) – 免費 (NHS服務)
● You will need to pay for medicines in England, which is different to Hong Kong. However, the NHS prescriptions in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are free!
● Some medicines can be purchased over the counter (not controlled).
Sometimes it is cheaper to purchase them from the pharmacy directly rather than using a prescription.
Always ask the pharmacist if you can purchase the medicine without prescription. Examples: eye drops, paracetamol, ibuprofen
● 有一些藥品可以直接跟藥房買 [over the counter] (不需要醫生開)
有時直接跟藥房買會比用NHS prescription 處方價錢更便宜 (e.g. 眼藥水，撲熱息痛 [Paracetamol, Panadol]，布洛芬 [Ibuprofen])
要有醫生處方的藥物 (e.g. 抗生素)
● Some are prescription medicines (e.g. antibiotics)
£9.35 per item
● 買處方藥物 = 每樣£9.35
(price in April 2021)
If you need medicine regularly (e.g. every month):
Consider purchasing an NHS prescription prepayment certificate (PPC) .
You get an unlimited number of prescriptions.
£30.25 for 3 months (price in April 2021)
£108.10 for 12 months (or 10 Direct Debit instalments of £10.81) (price in April 2021)